Skip to main content

Diabetes Specialist

ABC Medical Center

Family Practice & Diabetes Care located in Dallas Metroplex Area

Around 11% of residents in the United States today have diabetes. All types of diabetes require ongoing management, but managing your condition doesn’t have to be difficult. At ABC Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, Ricardo Martinez, MD, and the team of experts have the knowledge and experience to diagnose and manage your diabetes now and for the rest of your life. They also give you the tools needed to control your diabetes on a daily basis, through their dedicated Diabetes Management Program. Call the office nearest you or click the online scheduling tool. Walk-ins are welcome, too.

Diabetes Q & A

What is diabetes?

Diabetes is a chronic illness that occurs when your pancreas can’t make insulin, or you can’t use insulin efficiently. Insulin is a vital hormone for normal function. 

The glucose from the foods you eat moves to your blood, and insulin helps move the glucose from your blood to your cells to produce energy. 

When you don’t have insulin, or when insulin doesn’t work, your glucose stays too high and causes the long-term damage associated with diabetes. 

The main forms of diabetes are Type 1, the unpreventable type in which you don’t make insulin, and Type 2, the preventable form in which your insulin doesn’t work well. 

Among those with diabetes, 90% have Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 and gestational diabetes (diabetes restricted to pregnancy) make up the remaining 10%. 

ABC Medical Center specialists are highly knowledgeable and experienced diabetes experts who diagnose and manage all types of diabetes.

What are the health effects of diabetes?

High glucose levels for an extended time can cause serious damage in your heart, nerves, blood vessels, kidneys, eyes, feet, and other parts of your body. 

Diabetes also increases your risk of hypertension (high blood pressure) and hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol) and can double the chances of heart attack and stroke.

Though the health effects are serious, they're not inevitable. You can control your diabetes and prevent poor health now and in the future with help from ABC Medical Center. 

How do you diagnose and treat diabetes?

The ABC Medical Center team diagnoses diabetes with blood tests. You may need to fast for at least eight hours before blood tests. Your providers can explain your test results to help you understand how diabetes is affecting your body. 

Diabetes treatment emphasizes whole-body health and wellness. ABC Medical Center has a dedicated Diabetes Management Program, available in both English and Spanish, that educates you and your family about making healthy choices, maximizing your health with diabetes, and living with your disease successfully.

Additionally, if you have Type 1 diabetes, you’ll need insulin through injections or a pump. 

With Type 2 diabetes, especially in the early form of the disease, a healthy diet and exercise plan may control your disease without medication. But, as Type 2 diabetes progresses, you may need to take oral medication to lower your blood sugar, or insulin. 

At ABC Medical Center, you get comprehensive diabetes care, from your initial consultation to your diagnosis and long-term disease support. Call the office nearest you or click on the online scheduler to get diabetes care.